Monday, February 28, 2011

Monday's Meditation: Eternity in our Hearts, Revealed Day by Day

God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God’s work from beginning to end. ~ Ecclesiastes 3:11
When I look at my children I see the beauty and grace of creation. They’ve been shaped by the hand of God, kissed to life by his breath. I see decades of life to come: joy and laughter, worry and fear, discovery and rest. I’m a father, a man with limited experience and wisdom, a man filled to overflowing with love for my children but also aware that my cup doesn’t hold nearly enough love to give them all they need.
Then I turn my attention to the perfect parent, the Heavenly Father, and I begin to understand his love and care have no limit. He has given us everything we need for life and godliness. The DNA of his Spirit contains eternity, buried within us like treasure in a field. He watches and waits for us to discover the wealth.
Jesus, the God-Man, demonstrated how to seek and find the treasure. He told us the Kingdom of God was within us, and also told us the Kingdom was breaking in from above. His actions and his words demonstrate a beauty Solomon could only glimpse in Ecclesiastes. If it’s true that God has placed eternity in the hearts of men, then Jesus gave us words for what our hearts already know. When I come to Jesus my heart burns from within because deep calls to deep. 
Solomon may have been correct when he wrote these words, but his insight has been superseded by the Incarnation. It’s more than a week’s worth of mediation, but I hope to unlock the eternity in my heart by coming to the one who holds the key. What about you?
Perhaps you will pray with me (and our brother from 1,600 years ago) “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment