Saturday, September 11, 2010

Everyone's Entitled to My Opinion: About Dialing it Down

I keep a dreadful secret from my friends at church. You see, where I worship, if you think the music’s too loud, you are definitely too old. The drugged-out neighbors near our building call the police to complain about the volume. The Kentucky Academy of Pediatrics has labeled the Vineyard the number one threat to children’s hearing in the state. Baby Boomers bring ear plugs to church. All the guitar amps go to 11.

But deep in the recesses of my iPhone, where no one can see my music collection, I have a playlist of gentle music. At my desk, I put in the ear buds and secretly dial it down. The fools--they think I'm still rocking it out! But God lives in the still small sounds, too.

So if you promise not to let this get back to the hometown gang, I’d like to recommend quiet music for quiet times:
Perhaps my opinion today is not for everyone. On Saturdays I recommend books, movies, even porches. In my opinion everyone oughta dial it dial down from time to time.

7 comments:

  1. Nice post. And so true. I think everyone needs to dial-down... in many areas of life. One of my favorites for dialing it down, musically speaking, is James Galway, flute player extraordinaire from Belfast, Ireland. I love anything he does, but I especially love the albums he's done of movie theme songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy. Yes! I need to add James Galway to my gentle playlist--don't tell anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very good! I agree (and not because I'm an aging and hearing-impaired boomer). But, I prefer Sinatra or Emmylou Harris.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the Russian collection too, and I love it, but you're right, the chimes and bells grow out of proportion sometimes!

    ha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore the "Love Came Down" album. It's a great one to soak to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the Russian collection too, and I love it, but you're right, the chimes and bells grow out of proportion sometimes!

    ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice post. And so true. I think everyone needs to dial-down... in many areas of life. One of my favorites for dialing it down, musically speaking, is James Galway, flute player extraordinaire from Belfast, Ireland. I love anything he does, but I especially love the albums he's done of movie theme songs.

    ReplyDelete