Monday, September 13, 2010

Monday's Meditation: Streets of Gold

What happens when a Bible verse becomes a cliché--when it takes on a life apart from the setting the Spirit intended? If a passage becomes widely known and quoted it’s easy to miss the revelation the Spirit intended. Because it’s familiar we think we know what it means: An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth -or- no rest for the wicked --or this week’s meditation, the streets of heaven are paved gold. Actually, this last example reads a bit differently: The great street of the city was of pure gold, like transparent glass. (Revelation 21:21)

Revelation 21 shows us what life is like when God lives among men. Some people call it “heaven.” I think Jesus called it “The Kingdom of God.” Some people think heaven is reserved for another day. I think Jesus told us “the kingdom of God is breaking in.” What if he wants to live among us now? I’d like to suggest three possibilities of what the Holy Spirit is trying to communicate when we hear that the streets of heaven are paved with gold.

Heaven has abundance. The present value of gold comes from scarcity. The economies of this age are, in part, built on what we do not have--and because we do not have something society sets the price high. But in God’s presence there is always enough. There's no scarcity in his presence. Imagine--how would we live today if there was always enough?

Heaven has its values in order. When God lives among men we would value gold no more than we care for asphalt. In our age the source of wealth is possessing what others value. In his kingdom the source of wealth is him! Imagine--how would we live today if the values of this world were beneath our feet?

Heaven values beauty. In God’s presence Main Street shines with the radiance of transparent gold. God is not only holy, God loves beauty. And he makes all things new: try to imagine your Main Street shining like gold.

This week, I invite you to turn your thoughts toward how your world would change today if “the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God.”

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I've always thought of all the gold and jewels and royalty references in Revelation as little more than extra glitz for those who need it in order to grab their attention. I've always thought, "I don't care about gold—that's not the sort of thing that makes me sit up and take notice. I can skim over all of that."

    But this post really helps me think about it in a new way. We are so driven by the economic principles of this world, that we become blind to the heart of the matter—the stuff that's driving how we live. I particularly love this question: "How would we live today if there was always enough?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kristin. You caught my intent perfectly. I've always dismissed verses like this one until one day I thought: "What if I'm the one missing the point? What if this passage is just as 'serious' as any other passage" That's what started me meditating on what the Holy Spirit might be trying to teach me in his passage. I don't think the Spirit was just dangling a shiny bauble in order to get my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kristin. You caught my intent perfectly. I've always dismissed verses like this one until one day I thought: "What if I'm the one missing the point? What if this passage is just as 'serious' as any other passage" That's what started me meditating on what the Holy Spirit might be trying to teach me in his passage. I don't think the Spirit was just dangling a shiny bauble in order to get my attention.

    ReplyDelete