Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Tension of Love and Mystery: Why we don't have to know it all

N.T. Wright was once asked his opinion about John’s gospel. He stammered around a bit and finally confessed, “I feel about John like I feel about my wife; I love her very much but I wouldn't claim to understand her.” Precisely: love and mystery trump understanding every time.
If you’re the kind of person who needs to figure everything out, perhaps the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is not for you. Too bad, because he’s the real deal: he’s the one who spun galaxies off of his fingertips, who calls forth the starry host one by one each night. He’s the one who has no problem turning the tables on the rich and self-confident by raising the humble and poor.
Students of Jesus live within a healthy tension between revelation and mystery. We are in relationship with a vast, imponderable, transcendent, infinite Creator who also desires an intimacy with us closer than our next breath. It’s the kind of math that makes quantum physics look like child’s play: infinite God plus finite human equals eternal relationship. No amount of smarts can balance the books, but a willing heart can thrive forever.
In Luke’s gospel one chapter in particular bursts at the seams with the tension between revelation and mystery. Chapter seven contains at least four imponderables, waiting like snares for the sure-footed religious expert. I have tripped on these four often:
1). Jesus is not easily impressed, but faith can cause him to marvel (Luke 7: 1-10). When a Roman soldier is satisfied solely with the words of Jesus, the Lord tells all Israel they have something to learn from a Gentile. Jesus called the religious intellectuals of his days “blind fools.”  Those who claim to have things figured out automatically disqualify themselves as guides for spiritual formation; those who place their trust in God without reserve become examples for us all.
2). The Creator of the universe is moved by compassion (Luke 7: 11-17). Jesus raises a dead man for no good reason--unless we count the tears of a widow as reason enough. This strange paragraph is almost a throw-away passage. We are offered no explanation other than the Eternal One is apparently always unhappy with death. Do we hold the same view?
3). The Greatest Teacher in history is pleased to speak mysteries (Luke 7: 18-35). Is there any more complicated question than the fate of John the Baptist? John is the first to recognize the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world; yet from prison he is filled with second-guesses and questions; finally, this servant of God loses his life on the whim of a dancing teenager. Jesus is pleased to call our attention to John’s example, but offers us one of the strangest sayings of his ministry, “Yet wisdom is justified by all her children” (verse 35). I’ve pondered those words for decades and I’m still no closer to finding a clue as to their meaning. What about you?
4). Boldness and worship impress the God who needs nothing (Luke 7: 36-50). When a woman ruined a dinner party with tears, perfume and love, Jesus jumps to her defense. The host merely thinks a critical thought, and that alone is offensive to  Jesus. The rich are sent away empty and the social outcast becomes a model of devotion. By the final verse of the chapter tears, perfume and love have become sufficient testimony of faith. No creed, no orthodoxy, and no propriety are enough, but the party-crasher goes home justified while the host is made a fool.
Each of us should strive for understanding because we are commanded to love God with our minds. Jesus rewards those who turn their thoughts and intellect his way, yet he is not impressed by my intelligence. The qualities of wonder, love and relationship are the foundations on which our study must be built.

13 comments:

  1. Pastors who condemned me for wondering about fossils and mandatory-tithing-or-God-will-get-you did not "love" me like God does. I don't think I was sinning by trying to figure all this out. Figuring out that God did love me was the first step for me to coming back to Him; I had to reject the condemnation spoken over and to me by those men.

    Your comment about John provokes contemplation ... perhaps the "children" are the yet-to-be (re)born believers which he (John) saw coming ( ..look, the one who takes away the sin!...).

    ReplyDelete
  2. How can we get to "understanding" apart form questions and wondering? It's unfortunate that your particular story includes judgment and condemnation.

    Indeed, we are encouraged to ponder, and to try to "figure things out." What I had hoped to address is the necessity to add humility, wonder and awe to the mix. Beware anyone who tries to figure out God in the same way one figures out a calculus problem. In my opinion the foundation for study is an understanding of our own limitations and the peace that should flow from the realization that "we know in part."

    Peace to you, Charles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the mystery/wisdom - Jesus talked about - there was a change of season coming about - with JEsus coming into the picture - John being the last of the prophets, he prepared the way for Jesus, now he had to move out of the picture - and he was not ready for the change and so got offended when JEsus did not save him- Jesus was bringing in the season of grace - we tend to not be ready for season of changes and we wonder what God is doing when he takes people, things, jobs out of our lives ???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Rachel. I need the reminder that even "great" men like John the Baptist struggled with seasons of change.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can we get to "understanding" apart form questions and wondering? It's unfortunate that your particular story includes judgment and condemnation.

    Indeed, we are encouraged to ponder, and to try to "figure things out." What I had hoped to address is the necessity to add humility, wonder and awe to the mix. Beware anyone who tries to figure out God in the same way one figures out a calculus problem. In my opinion the foundation for study is an understanding of our own limitations and the peace that should flow from the realization that "we know in part."

    Peace to you, Charles!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omigosh, I love this, love it. I'm here from RHE's Sunday superlatives and I'm stickin' around for a while. This is just wonderful writing, clear thinking, great insights. Thanks so, so much. I read some of the same blogs you do, but don't think I've ever seen your name in a comment - I'll be on the lookout, because I value what you have to say. And you say it so well

    ReplyDelete
  7. Omigosh, thanks so much, Diana! [Tell all your friends :-) ]

    You're always welcome here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, so you've a bit of the smartypants in ya, too. Likin' this better and better. (But I won't say omigosh ever again here, that's for sure) :>)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved this..I don't want to get to old to learn

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks to me like you're still learning, Ann.--and we will each have an eternity to explore more about Him!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so hard with some of my new Christian friends who are seeking to know it all. Especially one, who was taught "all the bad verses." I want to have all the answers for those who are seeking, but indeed, many times I cannot. I can only take what has resonated in my heart from my experience (life, God's word, some revelations that have been impressed upon me). I have to trust God enough to believe He is showing me all I need to know at this time in my life. :) Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Jessica. You but: we have to trust. I also like your observation that you should draw on your experiences. I think the person with a heartfelt experience is never at the mercy of a person with an intellectual argument. Perhaps you can encourage you new Christian friends to seek "knowing (and experiencing) Him" above knowing the answers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, I totally agree with that! :)

    ReplyDelete